If you’re having trouble paying a bill – or if you’re experiencing ongoing financial difficulty – there’s help available.
What to do if you can't pay a bill
If you get an energy or water bill that you can’t afford to pay, don’t ignore it – contact your company as soon possible. Explain the situation and ask how they can help.
If you are having more severe or long-term financial problems, ask to speak to someone about the hardship program. All energy and water companies must have a hardship program to help customers who are having a lot of trouble paying bills.
How your company should help
By law, energy and water companies have to offer help. They might:
- give you more time to pay the bill
- work out a plan to pay over time in instalments you can afford
- check that you’re receiving government concessions and grants you’re entitled to
- refer you to a free, independent financial counsellor for advice
- give you energy or water efficiency advice to help reduce your bills
- let you pay bills through Centrepay – smaller fortnightly payments taken directly from Centrelink payments.
How EWOV can help
If you’ve spoken with your company but can't get the assistance you need, call EWOV. We can help you and the company to negotiate an affordable payment plan and other assistance.