Skip to main content
News and articles

If you have a Centrelink concession card, you may receive a discount on your energy and water bills, for example:

  • The Winter Gas Concession is a 17.5% discount on gas use between 1 May and 31 October each year (only after the first $62.40 of a winter gas bill).

If your annual electricity bills are over $2973 or winter gas bills more than $1644, then you must contact the Department of Families, Fairness and Housing (DFFH) to continue to receive the 17.5% concession.

Our Concessions and grants fact sheet explains several other concession discounts, including life support, medical cooling, LPG and water and sewerage concessions. Remember, the 17.5% concession is calculated after any contract discounts or solar credits have been applied.

How to claim concessions

If you’re eligible for a concession, but your discount is not on your bill, then you should do the following:

  • Contact your company with your concession card details – this is your responsibility.
  • Check that the account holder name on your bill matches the name on your concession card. The spelling must be exactly the same. Contact your company to make any updates.
  • Ask your company to backdate the concession discount to your account. The company can go back and apply the discount for up to 12 months, if you were eligible during this time.

You might also be able to get a government grant

If you can’t pay your bills and your debt is growing then you may be eligible for a Utility Relief Grant of up to $650 for your electricity and gas accounts. The forms are provided by your energy company and applications are assessed by the DFFH.

More information

You can visit the DFFH website to find out more about concessions and grants or call the Victorian Concessions Information Line on 1800 658 521.

If you’re having problems paying your bills, talk with your company and ask for a payment arrangement and financial hardship support. Visit the Trouble paying a bill page on our website for more information.