Skip to main content

Moving in and out

We’re the Energy and Water Ombudsman Victoria, also known as EWOV. We're a free and independent dispute resolution body for Victorian energy and water customers.

Moving can be a stressful time, so it’s important to have your electricity, gas and water sorted before you move in or out. Here are some helpful tips.

You can choose your energy retailer, but you can’t choose your water company. You can compare energy retailers on the government’s independent price comparison website – Victorian Energy Compare.

You can find the water corporation that services your area by typing your address into the Vic Water website’s interactive map, or by speaking with your neighbour or local council.

To connect your service, contact both your chosen energy retailer and the water corporation to set up an account at least two business days before you move in. Remember - If you’re a tenant you pay for water usage and sewage disposal charges, and your landlord pays the service charge.

Make sure you understand your energy contract, including how long the contract is for, rates, and early exit fees. Be aware of utility connection services, they operate for a commission on behalf of some companies.

And remember, if you have one, give your company your concession card details to receive any eligible concession discounts.

Moving Out?

Call your electricity and gas retailer, and your water corporation at least three business days before you move out. Be sure to give a forwarding address for your final bill to avoid potential debt collection. If you live in a share house and the account is in your name, tell the retailer the name of the person who will be taking over the account.

To learn more, visit our website or give us a call. Head to for more details.

EWOV - Listen. Assist. Resolve.