EWOV’s new referral page online (August 2017)

While EWOV is the go-to Ombudsman for complaints about energy and water in Victoria, sometimes you may find that there are other issues that you also need help with.

To save you time scouring the web, EWOV has created a new page on our website which cuts out all the searching and provides you with a list of agency contact details for dispute resolution, legal, consumer assistance and welfare agencies that can help you with:

  • energy and water complaints in other states
  • complaints against providers in other industries, such as telecommunications and financial services
  • consumer and legal advice, and assistance from government bodies such as Consumer Affairs Victoria and Victoria Legal Aid
  • family violence assistance, including Safe Steps and 1800Respect
  •  financial assistance via the National Debt Helpline

Related content

Fact Sheet 35

A bundle of changes

Trouble paying a bill, High bills
Have you considered how a newborn might affect your utility bills?
Fact Sheet 29

Credit default listings and debt collection

Trouble paying a bill, Debt collection and credit default listings
Information about energy and water credit default listings, the default listing process and debt collection activity