Skip to main content

EWOV will be closed from 4 pm Tuesday 25 June 2024 to 8.30 am Wednesday 26 June 2024.

If your electricity gas or water has been disconnected or restricted, please refer to the emergency contact number noted on your bill‌.

Common complaints

Disputes regarding energy companies' access to private land.

We are an independent, free dispute resolution service that can consider complaints about energy companies that are participants of our scheme. This includes complaints from landholders about the way an energy company has exercised its statutory rights in relation that land, or property neighbouring that land.

Like the rest of Australia, Victoria is undergoing a transition to renewable energy. This requires new transmission infrastructure to transport energy from the new areas of generation. To complete these projects, an energy company may need to access private property to:

  • conduct planning and investigations, such as land surveys
  • construct the infrastructure, and
  • operate and maintain the infrastructure, once built.

Some energy companies can access private property either through:

  • a voluntary agreement between an energy company and a landholder, or
  • by exercising legislative powers to access land in certain circumstances (statutory rights).

The Victorian Essential Services Commission has released a Land Access Code of Practice (the Code) which came into effect on 1 March 2024. The Code sets out rules and processes that companies must follow when accessing, or seeking to access, private land. This means that some energy companies must follow the Code if seeking to exercise their statutory rights to access private land.

The Code aims to balance the right of companies to access private land to provide essential services with landholder rights. It includes requirements regarding:

  • communication and engagement, aimed at improving consultation between energy companies and landholders
  • notices and information regarding statutory access, including information that energy companies must provide to landholders
  • obligations which must be followed when private land is being accessed, such as risk minimisation, biosecurity control, fire and health risk management.

The Code names EWOV as the independent dispute resolution organisation responsible for receiving complaints in relation to compliance with the Code.

If you are involved in negotiating a voluntary agreement for access to your land – consider naming us as an option for dispute resolution. That way, if things don’t go to plan, you’ll have access to an independent dispute resolution service without any additional cost. There is no need to be represented by lawyers if you lodge a complaint with us.

There are some complaints relating to transmission companies and land access that we cannot consider.

We cannot consider complaints about:

  • content of legislation or government policies
  • a decision made by Cabinet, a Minister, or a government department
  • planning and feasibility of the project
  • routes and mechanisms of transmission
  • an Environmental Effects Statement
  • compensation for acquisition of land
  • a matter that is, or has been, the subject of:
    • court or tribunal proceedings, or
    • an investigation by a government department or agency.

If you have a complaint in relation to access to your land and you are unable to resolve it with the energy company, you can lodge a dispute with us by calling 1800 500 509 or by clicking here to start a complaint. We will then assess whether we can assist and if so, will work to resolve your dispute as quickly as possible.

Need general information?

If you don’t have a complaint but just want some general information, we call this an enquiry. We may even be able to refer you to another agency.

You can make an enquiry at any time. Call us on 1800 500 509, send us an email or start a live chat.

I thought my energy company was going to fix the problem quickly

Dina’s* property had a cross-metering issue. She needed EWOV’s help getting the $4,000 refund processed.

*names have been changed

Read Dina's story

My meter was underground. How could I check my usage?

Tony’s* water bill was more than $3,000. The problem was he didn’t know there was a leak or where his meter was.

*names have been changed

Read Tony's story

It was frustrating how long my new electricity connection was delayed

The three requests Edet’s* electrician made for a new electricity connection all failed. We investigated what went wrong.

*names have been changed

Read Edet's story