2010-11: A year in which the energy and water complaints lodged with EWOV by Victorian customers set a new record
A record 54,289 Victorian energy and water customers sought the assistance of the Energy and Water Ombudsman (Victoria) (EWOV) in 2010-11—28% more than in 2009-10 and 197% more than five years ago.
Of these cases, a record 49,580 were complaints—29% more than in 2009-10 and 250% more than five years ago.
Complaints to EWOV were also up across all three industries. Electricity complaints were up 33%, gas complaints were up 25% and water complaints were up 17%.
In the report, the increase in complaints is attributed to a combination of:
• customer concerns about rising energy and water prices
• associated affordability issues
• systemic billing issues
• the marketing and transfer practices of energy retailers
• energy retail issues generally
• publicity and concerns around solar installations and smart meters.
Billing issues were the most common, especially high bills, across all three industries (electricity, gas and water).
Billing was followed by Credit, which is about the capacity of customers to pay their bills and stay on supply. 97% of Credit issues were raised by energy customers.
Cases about disconnection of energy supply for account arrears were also up 74% in electricity and 34% in gas.
94% of cases came from residential customers and 6% of cases came from business customers.
EWOV arranged 3,601 payment plans, 46% more than in 2009-10 and 254% more than five years ago. We finalised 11,164 complaint investigations—44% more than in 2009-10 and 110% more than five years ago.
9,642 investigations (86%) were conciliated. We achieved $3,448,051 in redress for customers.
Download: EWOV's 2011 Annual Report
Cases by industry:
Download other sections of the report:
- About EWOV
- 15 Years of Contributions to the Victorian Community
- Snapshot: Our Biggest Year
- Chairman's Report
- Ombudsman's Report
- The Board
- EWOV: Performance
- EWOV: Scheme Participants
- EWOV: Customers, Cases, Issues
- Complaint Trends by Company
- EWOV: Financial Statements
Links and Downloads: