EWOV can take complaints about all electricity, gas and water companies operating in Victoria. We call these companies our ‘scheme participants’. Our services are free to customers. The things we can and can’t investigate are set out in the EWOV Charter and summarised below.
Issues we can help withWe can help with most issues to do with your electricity, gas or water company, including:
- the provision of your service (or failure to provide it)
- how and when you are billed
- your payment arrangements
- disconnection or restriction of your supply
- marketing to you by a company or its representatives
- the switching of your account to another company
- electricity poles and wires
- gas and water pipes
- vegetation management
- access to land
We can also investigate:
- matters raised with us by the Essential Services Commission
- matters referred to us by a scheme participant, with the consent of the customer
- the concerns of third parties directly affected by the activities of a scheme participant - where the company activity affects someone who is not their customer—such as the marketing of electricity or gas to the general public, vegetation management or network augmentation
Things we can’t investigate:
- the setting of prices or tariffs or determining price structures
- the content of Government policies, legislation, licences and codes
- complaints that are specifically under consideration by any court or tribunal or which have been considered by any of those bodies previously
- any matter specifically required by legislation
- customer contributions to the cost of capital works
But, we will do our best to point you in the right direction.
How we can help
1. We can provide information to help you go back to your electricity, gas or water company and sort the problem out directly.
2. We can put you in touch with someone higher up in the company, if you haven’t been able to sort the problem out through its call centre.
3. If you have tried, but just can’t sort the problem out with the company yourself, we can investigate the problem to help you and the company reach a resolution. Here’s how to lodge a complaint with us
Ring us on 1800 500 509
Email us at: email@example.com
Complaints about our work
From time to time, we receive complaints about how we’ve done our job. We have processes in place to ensure these complaints are handled properly.
Complaints about case handling and progression
A customer or a company may be concerned about how a particular complaint has been handled by our Conciliation team—e.g. concerned about the progress of the complaint or about the application of a particular EWOV policy or procedure.
Complaints about the merits-based closure of a complaint
A customer may be unhappy with our decision to close their complaint, because we’ve assessed it as having insufficient merit or that the company has made a fair offer.
Complaints about the broader operation of the EWOV scheme
Someone may wish to complain about a broad aspect of EWOV’s operation, rather than the handling, investigation or finalisation of a specific complaint.Complaints from scheme participants about EWOV’s jurisdiction
At times a company may wish to dispute our jurisdiction to handle a particular complaint.
Read more >